Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 41/2 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 large potatoes (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves of raw minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Place the cashews and 2 cups of the vegetable broth in the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Put the remaining 3 cups of vegetable broth in a pot.
- Add potatoes, garlic and onions, simmer covered and cooked for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli and basil and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cashew mixture, salt and pepper, simmering for another few minutes.
- For a smoother soup, half or the entire mixture can then be pureed
If you want to make your own vegetable broth, in a large pot, throw in a bunch of carrots and celery, 8 garlic cloves, chopped (with skin on), 2 large yellow onions, chopped (skin on). Add sea salt to taste. Simmer for about 4 hours, then drain the vegetables and enjoy the delicious broth. I sometimes throw in some cayenne and cumin for extra flavor. This is a wonderful source of minerals. I often make the broth and enjoy it by the glass.
My kids and I love this recipe! Enjoy!